Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Ebenezer Stone


Today I remember a verse I have visited over and again in the past.

“Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, “Thus far the Lord has helped us.”

EBENEZER “Thus far the LORD has helped us”.



and I look back on my life and I see time and time again where God has helped me.


When I was only little, scared of storms. 

When I was just a kid and frightened of growing up.

When I was a teenager, worried about what people would think.

When I was at university, excited to step out into a whole new world.

When I was newly married, learning so much through the ups and downs of life.

When I first held each of my precious children overwhelmed by the blessing God had given me

When my children got that tiny bit older, as i struggled  to teach them and guide them

and As we waited in uncertainty, not knowing how God would provide or where God would send us



EBENEZER thus far the Lord HAS helped me and I see how he has given me blessing after blessing along the way. The blessing my husband, our children, of friends, of church, of growth and of salvation...

And today I remember, I remember how God has been with me, all along and I know he will continue to help me.


When I’m scared of the storms raging all around me.

When I’m frightened of what God has put out before me and the change he is working in me.

When I worry about what others think of what I do or what I say.

As I step out to do the amazing things he gives me to do.

As he teaches me wonderful things in the trials and triumphs.

When it all seems so much and I’m overwhelmed by the  emotional buisiness of life.

When I struggle to connect with my children and teach them the awesome truths of God.

And so I wait, and wait again, trusting God to provide, to guide and to help


Ebenezer, God has helped me, God IS helping me, God will help me.


And so today, here, now, I say again. EBENEZER: “Thus far the LORD has helped me”


Thankyou God

“Here I raise my Ebenezer,
Hither by thy help I’ve come
And I hope by Thy good pleasure
Safely to arrive at home”

NOTE: This has been one of my favorite stories in the bible since I was a child. When I was at Highschool I would stop at the creek near our house on the way too or from school and remember That God had helped me “this far”. One year I befriended a duckling and named him Ebenezer as a reminder to myself. Years later a friend bought me a duckling for my birthday- he also was called Ebenezer
The Hymn above was one of Nathan and my special songs that we had sang at our wedding. A perfect time to remember Gods past blessings and pray for continuing guidance.
I hope I continue to set apart times in my life to remember what God has done for me, and therefore have a sure hope of his continuing love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment